The Office of Advanced Research Computing (OARC) is a new and exciting university-wide initiative that is to develop and implement a bold strategic vision for centralizing the advanced research computing and data cyberinfrastructure (ACI) ecosystem at Rutgers. OARC, a unit that is uniquely situated at the University, reporting directly to both the Office of Research and Economic Development (ORED) and the Office of Information Technology (OIT), was enthusiastically announced in February 2015 by President Robert Barchi with the goal of providing Rutgers researchers with essential computing and data handling capabilities, and students with necessary exposure and training, through centralized resources, services and training.
Acting as a bridge between the University’s research faculty and information technology professionals, OARC provides a means for efficient and effective communications which will increase the ability to perform computer-aided research at the University as never before. Working together across all Rutgers campuses in New Brunswick/Piscataway, Newark, Camden, and the Medical School, the Office of Advanced Research Computing provides the university community with strategic ACI leadership, coordinated investments in ACI and related expertise, and nurtured cyberinfrastructure-enabled multidisciplinary research.
These coordinated efforts will include:
- High-end research computing and networking, such as supercomputers and large-scale clusters, data-analytics platforms, domain-specific platforms, experimental platforms, science DMZs, and others
- Research data stores and data archives as well as data-management expertise
- Integration with national (and international) cyberinfrastructure such as XSEDE, OSG, GENI, I2, ESNET, and others
- Visualization and visual-analytics platforms
- ACI-driven multi-disciplinary research
- Expertise in ACI including systems management, software development and sustainability, computation and data
- ACI-related training and outreach
- Linkages to computation-oriented academic units and research institutes/centers at Rutgers.
Photo credit: N. Romanenko, © 2012 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey